Making a complaint

Certain types of discrimination are against the law in specific areas of public life in New South Wales. Sexual harassment, vilification and victimisation are also against the law. If you have experienced a type of discrimination, sexual harassment, vilification or victimisation covered by the law, you can make a complaint to us.

Download our complaint form

Resolving your own complaint

If it is appropriate, you could first try to talk to the person or organisation that you feel has discriminated against you. You could also seek assistance to do this, such as through your union or a group of people in your situation. You can also ask the organisation that treated you unfairly if they have an internal complaint process where you can submit your complaint. 

What we can do

We handle complaints of discrimination covered by the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977. If you make a complaint to us, we can help you and the other party find a way of resolving the matter according to the law.

If the allegations in your complaint appear to be covered by the Act, we will conduct an impartial and confidential investigation. 

What we do with your complaint

We will contact you by phone or letter within two weeks of getting your complaint. When we talk to you, we might ask for any other information we need and we will discuss how we will handle your complaint.

The person you are complaining about is called the respondent. We will send the respondent a copy of your complaint and any paperwork you have provided, along with a letter from us explaining the law. The respondent will then have a chance to provide a response.

If this doesn't resolve the situation, we sometimes hold a meeting between you and the respondent, this is called a conciliation conference.  

Complaints have the opportunity to be resolved through conciliation.  If your complaint can't be resolved this way, you can ask for it to be referred to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal. 

Complaints can also be discontinued or declined. 

We can't take sides or give you legal advice. If we can't help you resolve the matter, you might be able to take your complaint to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Related information

Find out more about the complaints process

Read more about how to lodge a complaint

Find out how to use our service if you have a disability

Watch our Auslan video about the complaints process