Disability service - complaint handling

If you have a disability and you want to contact the Anti-Discrimination NSW or make a discrimination complaint, we will try to accommodate your disability. Below are some common ways in which a disability might affect your interaction with us, and what we can do to help you. If your disability is not discussed here, please contact us and let us know what you need.

Difficulty phoning

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, you can contact us using the National Relay Service at www.relayservice.com.au. You can also make enquiries by email to adbcontact@justice.nsw.gov.au. ​

Difficulty writing

The law says that discrimination complaints must be received in writing, that is, handwritten or typewritten.

If you are unable to write or type your complaint, we can help you. However we can’t help you decide what to say in your complaint, as we don't take sides between you and the person you are complaining about. You can also dictate your complaint over the phone, and we will send you a draft that you can approve and sign.


You can write your complaint in any language, or in Braille, and we will have it translated at no cost to you. You can also speak your complaint and provide it as an audio tape, video tape, CD, sound file or video file, as long as you include a letter saying that you intend to lodge the complaint. 


If you are an Auslan speaker, you can submit a video of yourself making your complaint and we will have it translated.

Difficulty lodging your complaint

You can lodge your complaint on paper, on disc or memory device, or in audio or video as discussed above. You can post it, deliver it by hand or email it to us.

If you are unable to post or deliver your complaint to due to a disability, and you can’t email it either, contact us to discuss how you can lodge it. We can arrange to collect your complaint if necessary. Once the complaint is accepted, we can communicate with you via phone, fax or email.

Hearing impairment

As well as the services described above under difficulty phoning, we can also provide assistance for interviews and conciliation conferences such as an Auslan interpreter or a hearing loop.

See information about how to make a complaint in Auslan

Vision impairment

If you are lodging a complaint and you need to have our correspondence in a particular format, please contact us and let us know your exact requirements. We will do our best to provide whatever format you need, such as large print, Braille, audio or formatted text.

If you require information or a publication in another format, or you want a publication that is not available on the website in text form, please contact us and tell us what you need. 

Mobility disability

All our offices are wheelchair accessible. If you need parking in our building when you visit one of our offices, please contact the relevant office beforehand and we will arrange this. We can meet you in the carpark and escort you to our office if required.

Intellectual disability

Parents, guardians, carers and advocates can make a complaint on behalf of a person with an intellectual disability – contact the us for more information on how to do this. The person with the disability should be involved in the complaint process as much as possible.

We have several resources that are designed specifically to help explain anti-discrimination law for people with an intellectual disability. 

For more information:

Psychiatric disability

If you have a psychiatric disability and have particular requirements because of this, we will do our best to assist you. Please inform staff of your needs when you make contact with us.

 See more information on how our complaint handling service helps people with a disability